Last Updated on
With Ski Season coming up in the southern hemisphere here is a short ski exercise routine to get yourself in top shape for a great winter.
1. Squats– Building up quadricep and gluteal strength will be key to making your turns more powerful and also help you feel confident when increasing your speed. Good strength will help you overcome the extra force applied to your muscles should you be looking to get down the slopes faster but still be in control
2. Single leg deadlift– This exercise is great for hip stability and control as well and strengthening the hamstrings. Those with history of low back pain should be wary and focus on good technique before adding load.
3. Wall Squats– A good progression from the squats to work on more endurance in the muscles. Sit against a wall and hold. Time may vary and holding of weights can be added but try and build to 1-2 minutes and push into the burning feeling in the quads
4. Side lunges– this is a more dynamic exercise as you’re working on loading a single leg and then pushing off in an explosive manner. This works your hip musles on both legs. You can progress to holding weights when able.
5. Sideways box jump– This exercises helps put your quadriceps strength to work in a ski specific movement. Start with a small box, stepper or you can even draw a line on the ground. Work on getting good height in the jump and move from side to side