Winter is creeping closer and staying fit and healthy can become more of a challenge!! The dark, cold mornings and red sniffly noses can make those training goals just seem a little further out of reach…..
One way to stay a little motivated is to pick an exercise goal or event and then set a plan to keep you honest!
You may want to get involved in the Sydney Running festival and train to do a running event! There are plenty to choose from…. Here are a few pointers:
– Give yourself enough time to plan your training schedule. If you are already a runner – give yourself at least 8 weeks to prepare for your event. If you are new to running – allow yourself 12 weeks to work up to it.
– For longer events try to do 3 runs a week. That’s one longer run and 2 shorter runs. The shorter runs can include some speed work or interval training.
– Remember the 10% rule as a general guide – gradually increasing distances by no more than 10% each week.
– Remember the importance of cross training and strength work. Cross training is good in the prevention of overuse injuries and strength is so important for long distance running.
– Stay healthy! Eat well and stay hydrated. You are less likely to end up sick and out of action….
– Finally, don’t let niggles turn into injuries! See your Physio early for any problems and get a running assessment if your have poor running form or are new to the sport.