Ankle sprains can be very debilitating. If there has been a previous ankle sprain it is necessary to rehabilitate correctly to return to normal function and your physiotherapist is important in this process.
To prevent ankle sprains:
- Ensure that specific training has been undertaken prior to any competitive events.
- That there has been a gradual increase in training load/volume/intensity.
- That training involving balance, flexibility and strength is included on a regular basis.
- Agility training incorporating change of direction and speed is also necessary.
- Appropriate recovery and rest is allowed between sessions/competitions.
- Ankle taping/bracing for protection from previous injuries is occurring.
- Wear appropriate stable footwear designed for the specific activity.
- Warm up all lower limb musculature prior to the activity.
- Avoid activities that cause pain – if the pain does occur, cease the activity and commence RICER.