Whether you’re an Olympic Athlete or a Sunday morning golfer, Sydney Physiotherapy Solutions has expert physiotherapists trained in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of sports injuries.
The team at Sydney Physiotherapy Solutions has the experience to treat your injury and work with you through your rehabilitation process. Our aim is to return you to your chosen activities, stronger and more capable than before.
Sports Injuries Causes
Sports injuries can happen as a result of:
• Not warming up properly before exercising
• Pushing too hard for your current level of fitness.
• Using inadequate equipment (e.g. running shoes).
• Structural abnormalities.
• Poor technique.
Types of sports injury
Sport injuries can be acute or chronic. Acute sports injuries occur as a result of a sudden impact or awkward movement, e.g. a muscle tear or a sprained ankle. Chronic sports injuries develop over time, often due to continual use of the same joints or muscle groups or can occur due to bad technique or occasionally structural abnormalities, such as an inherited bone or muscle problem.
Fortunately, approximately 90% of all sports injuries do not require surgery.
How can physiotherapy help?
In the instance of an acute injury physiotherapy can help by speeding up the rate of recovery by reducing joint swelling and preventing joint stiffness. Early treatment will also help minimise tissue damage and provide for a quicker return to active sport.
Chronic injuries can be prevented and treated by identifying the causal factor. If getting fit to ski or for other strenuous activities such as a marathon, triathlon our physio’s can help you prepare by coaching you thorough sports specific exercises.
Sydney Physiotherapy Solutions is open Monday to Friday between 7.30am and 7.00pm.
For more information about sports and exercise physiotherapy at Sydney Physiotherapy Solutions or to request an appointment call 02 9252 5770 or book online.
Sports Physiotherapy Technology
Click on the headings below to read more about the technology that is available at Sydney Physio Solutions.
Alter G anti-gravity Treadmill
What is the Alter G Treadmill?
The Alter G or anti-gravity treadmill is a revolutionary piece of medical rehabilitation equipment which allows “unweighting” of the body between 20 – 100% using an air pressure system developed by NASA. The unique capability means that normal gait pattern can be maintained safely, accurately and comfortably even whilst recovering from injury to the lower part of the body. This leads to a quicker recovery with less pain.
Who Would Benefit from Using the Alter G?
In a word: everyone. In conjunction with your physiotherapist, athletes and the general population use the Alter G to gain strength and conditioning whilst reducing the impact on the joints. People post-injury or post-operatively use the machine to begin a safe rehab to areas in the lower body, spine, hip, knee, ankle & foot often much sooner by using the unique loading facility.
1. Sporting Performance and Training
· Train safely for endurance events
· Use to recover from a long race
· Increase load gradually to increase intensity of training
· Develop cardio-vascular fitness without lower body injury
· Prolong your running career without the pounding impact
· After an injury, the Alter G allows quick return for runners to activity/training, overcoming those months without logging any km’s
· Post surgery. A large number of spinal & lower limb surgeries require patients up & walking normally asap. Alter G provides a pain free way to do this
· Stroke patients can exercise in a completely safe way as all movements are supported
· Also for those who suffer from balance & neurological problems the Alter G is enclosed
3. The Elderly and Overweight
· Alter G provides a safe enclosed option for those fearful of walking on the footpath or uneven surfaces
· The load bearing ability provides for a gradual increase in intensity particularly useful for those overweight
Who Uses the Alter G?
Teams from Australia and all around the world make the AlterG a central part of their training and conditioning, including:
- NRL teams: Most NRL teams including this year’s premiers: Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks,
- AFL teams: All AFL teams including Western Bulldogs, Sydney Swans and GWS Giants
- Australian Institute of Sport
- Most of the NBA teams, including the world champion Miami Heat
- All of the English Premier League soccer clubs, including Manchester City
- US Olympic Training Centres
Science & Research
Functional Movement Screen
The FMS (which stands for Functional Movement Screen) is an injury prevention tool used to identify limitations or asymmetries in your fundamental movement patterns.
These tests are key to identifying functional movement quality in people with no current pain complaint or known musculoskeletal injury. The FMS is a reliable and well-researched tool that works in the same way that a blood pressure reading might flag a cardiovascular issue before symptoms become apparent.
The FMS allows us to observe you performing basic movements by placing you in challenging positions where weaknesses and imbalances become noticeable. The results of your FMS then help us to communicate properly with you and your coach/trainer in discussing the safest and most effective ways for you to exercise.
The total appointment lasts for 45 minutes, during which time your screen is completed and an exercise program is tailored to correct any movement limitations found during the screen. If your screen identifies significant problems, like pain or gross limitations in movement, we’ll discuss further consultation that may be required to appropriately deal with those problems.
During your session, you should wear exercise clothes and don’t worry, there’s no sweat involved!
For more information about the Functional movement Screen, please contact us on 9252 5770 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, or check out the FMS website.
Assessment during motion by monitoring data from sensors fixed to the body. Sydney Physiotherapy Solutions is proud to have this cutting edge technology to assist you with your recent or recurrent injury. We use it to direct rehab & return you to any running sport without any guesswork.